This episode covers
everything I've learned about upgrading my habits to improve my
life. Here's a brief summary of the points covered:
- Habits are the most important demonstration of your character:
you are what you do repetitively.
- By consciously upgrading your habits, you have an opportunity
to implement your vision of who you want to be, in your day-to-day
- Habits are powerful because steady persistence always beats the
- Habits dramatically reduce the amount of willpower and
brainpower required to get things done. Once you have implemented a
habit and can do it on autopilot, you conserve willpower and
brainpower, helping you get more done.
- Habits are easiest to adopt when they are simple to understand,
when you minimise any friction at the start of the action, when
there are clear environmental triggers that tell your unconscious
to start the habit, and when you have feedback (rewards) for
- I recommend the use of a habit tracking app like lift.do. In the podcast, I provide some
examples of habits that I am currently working on and
describe how I use this app to help me implement them.
- The episode covers the best books to read more about habits
(listed in the show notes below) and I talk about many of the tips
that I've gathered from these resources.